Monday, January 21, 2013

Crafty Cleaning

Today I cleaned out my craft "closet." (I say "closet" because it's really a bookcase with numerous bins and boxes that function like a closet. At my house, things are seldom as they seem.) While this may not be an activity most people look forward to, I've been hankering after it for several days. Since today provided an extra day off work, it seems only fitting to do a little work of the non-paid persuasion.

Just to be clear, when I say "I cleaned out" something, it generally means that everything (and I do mean every little piece of ribbon, scrap of paper, and tube of glitter - wherever it may be hiding) must be removed from its container and resorted. (It seems I don't always put things back exactly where they belong - go figure.) This process is always lengthy - today I spent about four hours on it - but worthwhile. While reorganizing, resorting, redoing anything seems pointless to some, it frequently brings me joy. I play records (yes, I said records - those little vinyl things that spin at 45 revolutions per minute), sing loudly, drink coffee, laugh at old photographs, fill a large trash bag with dried up paint and scraps of paper that should have been tossed long ago, and drop tidbits on the floor for the cats to enjoy. (They are my constant companions in this type of endeavor. It seems they enjoy the sorting process as much as I and are heartily entertained by emptying and refilling containers.) By the time I finished, there was glitter to be vacuumed from the pooltable, bits of ribbon the cats had shredded, and a well-organized book shelf just begging for me to open a box and dive into a project.

Now, on occasion I have been called a neatness Nazi and characterized as ruthless and cruel when it comes to throwing away unused items. However, I must confess, that when it comes to craft supplies I soften. After all, one never knows when she will want that six-inch length of polka dot ribbon to adorn a card or that stack of patch pockets from old blue jeans to put on a set of placemats.

The world of crafting is a world of possibilities, and cleaning out craft supplies reminds me of all the wonderful items stashed away at my fingertips. The bright green paper and the flower stickers beckon me to create something happy. Even the darkest pieces - paper and photos - remind me to appreciate the sunlight. Sifting through a box of love letters makes me yearn to layer lace and pearls into something sweet and romantic. Each photo, a snapshot of a moment I can never have again, makes me smile, reveling in the happy journey that is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment